Sunday, January 27, 2008

Malaysians Reading Outdated Books?


Reading the latest top 10 books for fiction and non fiction as published in today’s Star newspaper made me realize that Malaysians are actually reading outdated books.

How else do you account for “Who Moved The Cheese” by Spenser Johnson, and “Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus” by John Gray, making it in the top 10 bestsellers list.

Come on, those books came out ages ago, and a lot of Malaysians are still buying it? I do not know how many copies are actually sold to make it in the top 10, but I presume a lot.

The Malaysian reading public seems to be trapped in a time warp. There are many new and interesting books that Malaysians should be buying, and it still puzzles me that Malaysians are still buying and reading old books. Has anyone got any answers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From my uneducated guess, Malaysians don't read much, in general.

So let's say they decide to take on reading regularly for whatever reason (New Year resolution etc...), where do they start?

From something they heard of of course...

While the books themselves are not the latest, I suppose we should view it positively~